Saturday, February 12, 2011

Saturday, February 12, 2011

5 Months since last post...so sorry to all who continue to look for updates! Let me try to summarize the past 5 months!
I continued on the Carboplatin every three weeks...side effects got worse and worse...last dose was January 14th. We put the house on the market Sept 21st and closed on the sale November 30th! Bernie, I and the kids spent the weekend before Christmas in Aruba...5 days/4 nights...it was great! Christmas was wonderful; January was very busy, each weekend was something going on and then Friday, February 4th was my last day of work. I'm now officially on medical leave and it's time to rest!

Medical details. Carboplatin stopped working; scans done on Feb 1st show a 33% growth of the tumors being measured plus additional new tumor growth almost every where. Lungs, chest, liver abdomen. Seems like this cancer is just taking over my body. Also had fluid on the left lung which was hindering my breathing and causing pain. Fluid was removed on Tuesday, Feb 8th...definite benefit with better breathing but the pain after is horrible. first day was very painful as my lung expanded and still today the area they went in (through my back between my ribs) is still very sore. Fluid that was removed is being tested...Dr. believes its cancer but we'll see. I see the Onc on Thurs (Feb 17th) to discuss and hopefully decide on next steps. I signed documents for some further trials. 1st is one right at DF, testing the circulating cancer cells in blood to see if these may have different characteristics then the original cancer in regards to the HER2 receptor. 2nd id one where my tumors are sent out for further testing....remember triple negative means negative for the 3 receptors they have identified in breast cancer...ER, PR & HER2....there is a phase 2 trial where they are testing for a AR receptor..AR standing for Androgen(sp?)...a male hormone found in women. If my cancer is positive for this....they have a trial of a targeted chemo to try.
When we go on Thursday I'll know results of the fluid from my lungs and the circulating cancer cell test but the AR receptor takes 5 to 6 weeks....but I think we should know enough to make some decisions on what and when to start next treatment. I'll give anything a chance as long as I have some good days in between treatments....if any treatment knocks me out completely and I have no good times...then I'm done. I just want to feel good for a while and I haven't felt good since early Dec. Hoping this pain from the fluid drain goes away before we start something else but we'll figure that out on Thurs with the Dr. I guess!
I promise I will update this much more often now....thanks!

1 comment:

patrick said...

Noreen,

Thks for this update ... You are GREAT !!!!
We , here in belgium cross all our fingers :-) :-)