Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11, 2010 - Day after new Chemo Treatmant

Morning all! It's been 3 months since last post...sorry been very busy! Summary view of what has occurred in past 3 months: We moved into Mom & Dad's house, celebrated Caitlin Graduation with a all day party(it was fun!), continue to finalize/cleanup our house (last few To Do's this weekend) Hope to have on the market by end of next week. Sean now back at school...he is now a junior at UNH. from the medical side...I continued my weekly treatments though August 10th, then had my normal every 8 week CT scan at the end of August. It was then seen hat the cancer had started to outwit the chemo and the cancer ha begun to grow again. I new it was coming...almost a full year on same chemo is not the norm, so I was lucky...it worked for me almost a full year!

So now I am moving on to a different/stronger Chemo...it's called Carboplatin. It's a platinum based chemo which is showing good results with my type of breast cancer. I am actually in a trial. But trial is only to gather data on effectiveness of platinum with Triple negative Breast Cancer...here is the website www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00483223.
So my hope is the early reports of this helping TN will help me but more important they are gathering data to hopefully be able to treat future TN patients correctly. Remember back in 2007, they new my cancer was TN, but thee only treatment available was the standard BC treatment of A/C and then taxol. We know know that failed for me. It would be good to know before I go that they can come up with correct treatment for TN from the beginning!

Back to where I am now....yesterday was my first infusion on carboplatin. So far OK. My appointment yesterday was at 4:00 and we were on our way home by 5:30. No more waiting around like last infusions. Some of the premeds for this I take via pill form which cuts the time down. I take a steroid pill and emend(all to prevent nausea) I then get an IV of I think Aloxi which is another anti nausea med and then the carboplatin it self witch is infused over one hour...then I'm ready to go! Alot different since last treatment regiment had me getting benerdryl via IV and knocked me out....I called it my Friday afternoon nap! Not this time...steroids do the exact opposition! That's ok...they suggested I take ativan and my muscle relaxers to go to bed to help counteract the steroids and they were right! When we got home yesterday I was awake and ok to have dinner (both kids home...so as nice to have a family dinner together again...but yes it was "take-out"...my wasn't home to cook!). About 8pm I took my pills and was out like a light before 9. Slept great and was up in moving around 8:30 this morning! I continue to take the steroids and emend each day and see how it works. A you have already probably determined...this carboplatin has a very high nausea/vomiting side effect and all these meds to to help prevent. We were laughing last night about this and Bernie wants be to ask for medical marijuana!!!! Not sure if he wants it for me or himself!!!

So I am feeling pretty good...no nausea as of yet and seems like normal Saturday so far! I am planning on not being in the office on Monday and Tuesday just so I see how this goes and that I can function when I no longer take these meds, but I will be online doing what I can from home!

To end...so far so good...this treatment seems doable!!!

No comments: